goodbye two thousand twelve

12/31/2012

For my last post of the year, I thought I'd do a little retrospective on how I felt the year went. I also wanted to share a video that I made from my Scandinavian vacation, which I had promised so many months ago. It's almost impossible to convey what you experience on a trip; the panoramic views, peaceful moments and the overall meaningfulness of the adventure. So here is my attempt:


me sitting in reykjavik
wild horses closer

What did you do in 2012 that you'd never done before?
I rode a horse for the first and last time (hah), I started a business while going to school (insane!), went on a cruise even though I always thought they were for grandparents, and many other projects that were challenging but rewarding in the end.

Did you keep your New Years resolutions from the previous year?
I did - somewhat! I wrote in a post nearly a year ago that I wanted to go on a grand trip, develop my old film rolls and continue working on my degree. I'm happy to say that I've done all of that but I still have to work on the remaining goals!

What date from 2012 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
June 28, 2012. It was the day that we visited Reykjavík/Iceland which was absolutely otherworldly. So many nice and beautiful events occurred, and I felt so lucky to visit a place that I had dreamt about.

easter part one, raspberries
profiteroles

What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Leaving my job (in January 2012) and taking chances to create an interesting day-to-day life. Things may appear effortless, but it takes lots of work to accomplish even the smallest of plans. I'm simply happy to have completed things which I had hoped to experience.

What song will always remind you of 2012?
There are so many! Especially since I listen to the same playlists on spotify. Perhaps "Vivre Pour Vivre" by Francis Lai, "Round and Round" by Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti and "All is Full of Love" by Björk.

lights
rainy day, erlend staring our
x5

What do you wish you'd done more of?
I wish I drove more (I'm still trying to get my license!) and perhaps relaxed more. I'm unfortunately the worrying kind, so I would love to practice more subdued patience. I also wish that I read more books in a quiet corner, which I'll certainly do now that I received lovely books for Christmas!

How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2012?
Oh dear! I think I've worn some of the same things for at least 7 years, so sadly not much has changed! However I welcomed a lot of pretty dresses into my wardrobe, so perhaps my concept was just "more" of the same but with new vintage hats.

me
miu miu box
a walk in the garden for audrey grace

Who was the best new person that you met?
My awesome blogger pals of course! I loved reading everyone's comments throughout the year and appreciate the lovely friendships that came of it! Also - my most recent Graphic Design class was full of interesting people, and even my professor was truly inspiring. (Honorable mention goes to Olaf the cat, whom I met in Flam!)

Tell us a valuable life lesson that you learned in 2012.
Even though I've always understood it, this year the idea that you should just do and not over-analyze was certainly palpable. So much time can be wasted making excuses, but just putting yourself out there can accomplish so much!

What are your resolutions for the new year?
Expand horizons, not limit myself, and keep working on new projects (design, shop, etc). I also hope to enjoy my time off with my lovely cats, make more dinners at home, and as always- take pleasure in simple things.

b
flower market, bergen

I hope you all have a wonderful new year! x

You Might Also Like

32 comments

  1. Happy new year to you dear Valerie and thanks a lot for the great inspirations your blog give to me every time I came to visit it**
    Ciao
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year Sandra! Thank for the sweet words! x

      Delete
  2. happy new year! that list was so much fun to read, and oh, well, i don't think i need to say how much i enjoyed the video :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe Happy new year Marlou! I hope it is absolutely grand for you :)

      Delete
  3. this post must be one of my absolute favourite of yours! first the breath taking video - with one of my favourite songs by sigur ros!!! - then the beautiful photographs and your comments and thoughts about the past year... I have to admit I got tears in my eyes reading it! :-) thank you, Valerie! have a wonderful 2013! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw that's so lovely Polly! I always feel that we're quite similar, so it's amazing that you became emotional watching it - as did I! It was a goal of mine to create the video before the year ended, so I'm happy that I actually did it and can now enjoy the otherwise forgotten memories :)

      Delete
  4. I adore this post. 2012 seems like it was a good year for you, luckily!! I love your photos and the film (!!) is wonderful. The views (and the animals, so cute!) are so nice! I wish you a just as good, and even better new year. With lots of happiness and good health!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Louise! I hope 2013 treats you well! Every year is challenging for me (there are soo many variables) but I usually don't go into all of those horrible bits because it's no fun! At the end of each year I try to shake off the challenges and just start brand new :)

      Delete
  5. oh gosh, all of these photographs are amazing! you have such a knack for this. i adore the photo of you hair in a ponytail, i just want a print of it to hang on my wall! hehe. thanks for all the inspiration!

    lindsey louise

    hellomrrabbit.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lindsey! That's such a lovely thing to say! I'll have to give my sister credit for that photo, although I did direct it :)

      Delete
  6. I absolutely love this post. And your video was so beautiful -- I loved the quality and music and shots with you waving to the camera. I must admit that I teared up a bit around 2:53 when Sigur Rós is playing and you're filming Donald looking out the window. You have such talent! I'm so glad I discovered your blog this year and am looking forward to your posts in 2013. Happy New Year! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow what an incredible comment Emily! It means a lot coming from you! <3 I had sooo many video clips, so it was quite hard to choose them and it took many many hours (embarrassingly so)! I was obviously inspired by the locations, so that was the reason went through the effort! That clip of Donald at the window was our favorite memory of the trip. That was when we drove through Iceland for 5-6 hours during the midnight sun :)

      Delete
  7. That video you made was fantastic! It makes me wish I had taken video on my travels in 2012! Iceland looks so perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rachel! I always take video clips but they're usually way too short and I regret it in the end. Luckily I forced myself to film almost every second (with my iPhone) since I knew how impossible it would be for me to return to those locations again :)

      Delete
  8. I love this post! Your Scandinavian trip has definitely inspired me to put a similar trip on my bucket list, that's probably the only kind of cruise I really want to go on. Hope you have a great 2013!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Jane! The only other cruises I'd consider is of South America (near Cape horn) or the Eastern Mediterranean. I feel like it has to be a place that is better visited by boat than by car, subway, etc. Happy 2013 to you as well! xx

      Delete
  9. Your images and writing are always among the most inspiring that I come across online. So happy you had a beautiful year and here's to another one :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you Sarah! That's so lovely to hear coming from you since I think you are one special gal! <3 Many well wishes to you in 2013 xx

      Delete
  10. Your video is a beautiful glimpse of what looks like another world! I hope to go there one day...
    I don't remember how I came about your blog, but I'm so glad I did because every one of your posts is enchanting.
    Happy New Year- hope 2013 is all you dream it to be :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy new year to you too Mariana! I have high hopes, but expect a few bumps along the way (ahem, school). The locations were otherworldly, and certainly more beautiful than anything I had seen before. I hope to return to Iceland as well and maybe even live there in my dreams one day! Thanks for the sweet words x

      Delete
  11. I love your photos. They look magnificent!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Greetings! I would like to pass The Liebster Award on to you. I was just awarded it and had to choose 11 other blogs to pass the award along to.

    No worries if it is not something you are interested in, I just wanted to choose you as I really enjoy reading your blog.

    Details of the award can be found back on my blog http://micimuddyboots.blogspot.co.uk

    Happy New Year and Best Wishes, Mici.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happiest of new year wishes to you Valerie! I'm so happy to hear you were able to accomplish your goals for 2012! <3

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aww how lovely! You had a picture-perfect year! So glad you ticked off your goals! Love and adore you, your wee blog and shop! I need to buy treats from your shop this year! ;) All the best kitten! Zoë xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is such a lovely, heartwarming post! I loved reading your interview and that video is beautiful! Wow! You visited some truly amazing places! Wishing a happy and bright new year, I hope you had a lovely Christmas too. Angie xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh i love your video, it definitely adds a whole new dimension to the photos you took of your holiday! and beautiful photos as always, it's great to hear you've had such a good and productive year and that you managed to cross a few things off your to do list last year. hope you're well! :) xo

    littlehenrylee

    ReplyDelete
  17. I enjoy this post so much, your video was so good! Can I ask something? Where did you get your pink bag from? Is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my goodness! You went to my dream place in the world! Ever since learning about the Blue Lagoon in Reykjavik in 8th grade, I've wanted to go real bad! One day! And that video was beautiful!

    Jessica | Vixenelle

    ReplyDelete
  19. Missing your posts kitten! Hope you are having lovely adventures! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  20. girl! love your blog, so inspiring!!!! i just found it! great photos and great video!!!!!
    xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I'd love to hear from you x

@hallovalerie on Instagram

instgram

sharing is caring

All images are under Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs copyright through Flickr.com. If you'd like to use an image, please provide a visible link to the source. Merci!