the fjords part one - flåm

7/22/2012

flam fjord
x2

The day after Bergen we arrived in the small town of Flåm, within the large Sognefjord. It was amazing how far our ship travelled in a short period of time, and that we had slept inside a fjord for most of the night. It felt like a dream. We were eager to explore Flåm, so we went on a long walk beside a river stream, through the incomprehensible landscape. Most of the mountain scenery that we saw was so immaculately large, that a photograph couldn't capture it, which meant that we even had to crane our own necks to see!

the walk
flam house

The walk lasted many hours, in which we passed endless streams, waterfalls, the cutest homes, and the friendliest wildlife.

donald and waterfall

flam house
olaf first sightibg

As if I wasn't already feeling overwhelmed by my surroundings, new discoveries popped up at every turn. I found this amazing cat, whom I named Olaf, watching me across a fence (in front of his cat door no less!). There were other people on the same road as us, but when I started calling him he suddenly hopped down and came to say hello. I knelt down and pet him for a long while and Donald later said that he had never seen me so happy. I have a video of our encounter which I'll share sometime in the future! <3 me and olaf
flam church

A lovely old Norwegian church that we visited
flam apple juice

I wasn't exaggerating when I said that really adorable things were at every turn, like this homemade stall of bottled apple juice grown in the Sognefjord(!!). The owner happened to also have her very own small crate of baby goats and lambs - all while her two kittens ran and played on the front lawn. At times I felt like I was living in the film Snow White!

baby goats
flam food

For lunch we had different types of open-faced seafood sandwiches and drank the local apple juice of course

applejuice pouring
flam midsummer wood

It happened to be midsummer's day when we were there, so we saw the preparation of a large bonfire to be lit later that night. I thought it was a bit enchanting, as I've never seen it in my part of the world. My memories of visiting Flåm were of surreal encounters with nature and the wildlife. I had sheep approach me, heard birds singing enthusiastically, and of course met Olaf. In the evening we left through the misty fjords, and entered a wonderland of mountainous twists before arriving in yet another surreal place which I will share next time! x

You Might Also Like

27 comments

  1. The landscape looks so beautiful! I would have felt like I was in a fairytale or a dream as well. The buildings are so quaint, they look like toy houses. I'm very excited to see the next part of your adventures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were like doll houses in a way, so many beautiful scalloped edges and vibrant colored walls. I wish my city had pretty homes, but alas, we don't! It definitely felt like a fairytale and I still can't believe I was there! x

      Delete
  2. Oh gosh the houses are so cute! Your walk must have been really nice :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the nicest walk I've definitely ever been on. I was so exhausted from the day before in Bergen, but it was worth it! x

      Delete
  3. flam looks so peaceful and beautiful :) i love the scenery of the pics by the water. a bonfire sounds so fun~ thanks for sharing.

    keep in touch :)
    -Joyce

    Do you like beauty products?
    We're holding a giveaway @ carouselstreet.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was certainly peaceful, and the complete opposite of los angeles haha!

      Delete
  4. Oh my god, this is breathtaking! The mountains are so big everything looks like a miniature almost (and those houses are so cute they do look like toys!). Olaf looks so funny, I can't wait for your video! :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Olaf looked a little scary to me at first. I'm not used to cats with the squished faces (haha) and he was jumping up at me to get rubbed. I thought, "oh my god, he wants to bite me" but he was just so needy for rubs. He turned out to be the sweetest cat ever, with such soft fur too. I miss him haha! The mountains were definitely big, but then I saw even bigger mountains the next day and my eyes almost exploded. Norway is too much! x

      Delete
  5. beautiful photographs--looks like you had an amazing adventure! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Flåm is such a magical place, indeed! i've walked there from a "nearby" train station (which was a 8 hour hike) and loved every bit of nature i've seen there, too. and aw, Olaf. i'm so looking forward to see the video!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, was it Myrdal? We were so exhausted from a long day of sight-seeing the day before in Bergen, so we definitely couldn't handle a hike haha. The walk lasted four hours so I ended up feeling so tired anyway. Olaf was the best <3

      Delete
  7. Wow, that sounds like such a dream! The first photo is just breathtaking. And the story of you and Olaf is so sweet - I look forward to seeing the video! I met a stray cat the other day when Jimmy and I were on a walk who was so friendly and sweet. Its little paws were white while the rest of him was gray! Can't wait for the next post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw white paws on a gray cat? It sounds so cute. Spontaneously seeing them on walk is the best too. I somehow meet stray cats every time I travel (I saw many more in the days after Flam) but Olaf was the nicest. I think they can all smell my cat's hair on me haha. x

      Delete
  8. oh wow, it looks like a whole other world. it really makes me wish that i'd explored the rest of norway more when i was there, but unfortunately i spent all my time in oslo. it's just the most beautiful, idyllic country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Idyllic is the perfect word for it! I've seen some other beautiful locales, but none as quietly majestic as Norway. Oslo sounds like a fun place to explore, especially with all of those museums! You're still lucky to have gone there :)

      Delete
  9. Nice pics. I especially like the 1st one. It's a shame we can't see lambs and baby goats 'round these parts! First time I saw lambs prancing in the countryside, I nearly cried. Haha. I hope Olaf is still keeping watch from his cat door :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci! My camera is so zoomed in that I thought I'd never actually capture the fjord haha. I hope Olaf is waiting for me somewhere x

      Delete
  10. So pretty! Those homes look so enchanting! You captured it so sweetly with your film! The landscapes remind me of the north of Scotland, where I too saw many a bonfire being built! :) Have a wonderful week! Zoë xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Zoe :) We visited the Scottish Shetland Islands a few days later and the greenery and abundance of sheep definitely had an essence of Norway. Those bonfires are so cool looking, I wish we had something like that on this end of the world!

      Delete
  11. what a beautiful place! Seems that Olaf is a very friendly cat :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This seriously does look like it's out of a fairy tale. Even the greens look different, more vibrant and alive!
    Those baby goats are adorable- I would've been squealing at how cute they are. I always take pictures of cats I come across in travels, or anywhere really. Olaf is a great name!
    Was it cold over there?

    ReplyDelete
  13. wonderful photos! :)

    Lau

    http://fallinlove.com.ar/?lang=en

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sorry this is my third comment but am absolutely loving looking through your blog, you definitely have a new follower! Olaf is such a cutie & the pictures are stunning, you are quite talented with the camera! Seriously can't wait to see more!
    p.s. Maybe this is in a FAQ or about me section I need to find, but what camera/ lense do you shoot with? I only got my DSLR a few months ago and have a long way to go! Always interested to see what others are using, especially when I really love the photographs!
    xo Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm enjoying very much your travel photographs.

    ReplyDelete
  16. After reading a piece on the Fjords I need to do a trip. It looks so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh Valerie, I've just been catching up on all your posts after an internet-challenged few weeks, and suffice to say, your travels and photography make all my travels and photography seem inadequate. Scandinavia looks absolutely magical through your eyes and is skyrocketing up my list of places I must visit. It looks like it was a fantastic trip (and I'm also drooling over your anniversary deserts on the previous page).

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I'd love to hear from you x

@hallovalerie on Instagram

instgram

sharing is caring

All images are under Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs copyright through Flickr.com. If you'd like to use an image, please provide a visible link to the source. Merci!