bergen part one

7/11/2012

heart shutters, bergen
on mount fløyen, bergen

Hello again! I'm quite happy to be back from my explorations in Scandinavia, and to share my photos with those reading! Donald and I began our journey with a long plane ride, then travelled to the coast of England, and finally ended up on our ship- with Bergen as its first stop. I was beyond thrilled when we reached Bergen in the early morning, as I had dreamt of visiting since I was thirteen. I was eager to explore the sights and to reach the top of Mount Fløyen, where the photo above was taken with my Leica minilux.

bryggen, bergen

We walked along Bryggen in the morning and surveyed the surrounding buildings, where every facade was worth photographing <3


beautiful building, bergen
the best overlook, bergen

I could never get tired of this view! After our walk in the town, we visited the top of Mount Fløyen and spent quite awhile there. I took in every angle and attempted to appreciate the vastness of mountains and coral roofs in all directions. I've never smelled such clean ocean air, which probably says a lot about smoggy Los Angeles weather. We then walked into forested areas to see moss-covered floors.

pt 1 - walking on floyen
norwegian forest, bergen
closed eyes, bergen

Photographing with 35mm film ensures at least one closed-eyed capture! I wore a new flowery dress and an old overcoat.

dining room, bergen
lunch, bergen
lunch, bergen

For lunch we ate on the mountain, at Fløien Folkerestaurant. I had a delicious egg and smoked salmon sandwich with a local pastry that's not pictured. Afterwards we went back down to land, and went on a few more adventures (I'll share that in part two) before ending up in the center of town, at Lille Lungegårdsvannet. There was a visual feast of locals strolling by the lake, of flower markets in the neighborhood, and I even stopped at the museum to see a few Edvard Munch pieces. Oh, a day in the life.

the lake, bergen
flower market, bergen
best painting ever, bergen

Awesome Norwegian painting of a little girl and her black cat. Right up my alley!

flower market, bergen

A common theme among my trip was that some things were just too lovely to comprehend, like this basket of multi-colored flowers. Sigh. I'll share more of beautiful Bergen in the next post, meanwhile I'm looking forward to catching up on all the posts that I've missed x

You Might Also Like

33 comments

  1. I remember your pics from your Leica, back in the day. Trips abroad are a good time to whip it out!

    Ok, a painting with a girl holding a cat? Too good to be true! Lol.

    Glad you enjoyed your trip! Long live KOC! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! It costs so much and I am much too cheap to do it on a daily basis :o They had so many darling paintings there, but I wouldn't want to bore everyone and share them all haha. KoC forever <3

      Delete
  2. The windows from that house are so cute! Beautiful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so cute that I had to stop and take a photo. My boyfriend probably thought I was crazy...but it was worth it! :)

      Delete
  3. These pictures are amazing! This looks like a lovely town - look at all those charming little houses. I'm so excited to see the rest of your photos from the trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jane! It was so quaint while still being quite large and metropolitan. Lots of street-side cafes and relaxed people. It was perfect for photographing :)

      Delete
  4. this so makes me want to go back to Bergen! i'm looking forward to your next posts :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marlou, it makes me want to go back too! I never wanted to leave...but I said that in Reykjavik too haha x

      Delete
  5. Yay- you're back! And with lovely photos and adventure stories.
    The picture of the trees is beautiful, as is the view from the top of the mountain. I could almost smell the fresh air!
    Can't wait to see more :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mariana, it's nice to be back! The forest was so peaceful and full of Norwegian children ahh! Haha, it was quite special. Can't wait to share more :)

      Delete
  6. Stunning photos!More please! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lola! I passed by Colchester on the train and it was a nice town! So close to the ocean. More to come in the next few weeks :)

      Delete
  7. your blog is seriously one of my favorites, ever. this post was so so amazing! all your pictures are so pretty, and that town looks so gorgeous. more please! i feel like i'm on vacation too in my tiny cubicle :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks :) It's so much easier to look at the pictures than the actual part of being there - where you have to figure out crazy-named streets and the local bus system haha. I love looking at travel photos too, it makes me want to visit a new place all the time! x

      Delete
  8. Wow, Bergen seems like such a lovely place. I've always wanted to learn some of the Scandinavian languages; I think they're just beautiful, though sadly not too practical. Do you know any of the languages? And I love that Norwegian painting as well - so innocent and both the cat and little girl's eyes look the same :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I wish I knew Scandinavian languages! Ever since I first saw Ingmar Bergmen films I wished I knew one of their languages hehe. I love how innocent the painting is and how girly it is :)

      Delete
  9. Ohhhh. Looks like you had an amazing time & you to ok some glorious photographs Valerie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Paula! It was a grand day, with ever more to come..

      Delete
  10. Oh my goodness that first picture. That is my dream house, I don't even need to see the rest to know that. The photos are SO gorgeous and your trip sounds like one amazing adventure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I agree with it being a dream house. I saw so many beautiful Norwegian homes on this trip! Lots of them were near the Fjords - man, they are lucky. It was quite an adventure indeed :D

      Delete
  11. Gorgeous, Valerie! I don't know much about Bergen, although I think my dad has been, but these pictures are so charming that I want to go immediately!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a beautiful city - the homes on the hills are the best part and the smell of the ocean. Oh, and the fact that you're in Norway haha. Thanks Emily, I always love seeing your travels as well! x

      Delete
  12. oh my! I've always dreamed of going to Scandinavia. Hopefully next summer! Everything is so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should go! :) I thought it would never happen for me but it was worth waiting for!

      Delete
  13. The photos of your trip are stunning, they really capture how whimsical Scandinavia is! My inability to take any decent pictures makes my trip to Russia feel so wasted lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, I always feel that way too. I just wish for photos that capture how I felt there...I think I got close, but it's SO hard to really get the essence of a whole city in photos. I guess we can all be perfectionists haha :D And thank you for the lovely words x

      Delete
  14. oh sounds like a dream place. your face on the second photo says it all. Heaven. flower markets and munch in person. oh too much for this old-fashioned heart of mine.
    can't wait to see more from your voyag..glad you are back
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is so lovely, I wish I had gone to Bergen on my trips too! maybe some day :)) your photos are lovely, as usual!
    hahah I can see how you got food-poisoning from falafel! I always feel a bit sick myself after eating it XD looking forward for the next posts about your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  16. omgosh, absolutely gorgeous! *o* the views are breathtaking...and i love how everything looks so clean and blue! Europe is indeed a whole 'nother world to me!

    ah, i know the feeling of things are just too lovely to comprehend...that sometimes, cameras can't even capture the feel of it. i hope you have an awesome vacation!

    alex @ carouselstreet.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. These photos are so stunning!
    http://xtheperfectmess.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  18. What an enchanting little town!
    Glad that you shot these in 35mm film, it adds that extra bit of wonder to the shots.

    http://the-makingofthings.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such beautiful flowers! I love peonies.

    Sarah x
    www.tellhershesdreaming.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. it looks so beautiful there! and now you've mentioned the camera you were using i've looked them up online and i want oneeeeee!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I'd love to hear from you x

@hallovalerie on Instagram

instgram

sharing is caring

All images are under Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs copyright through Flickr.com. If you'd like to use an image, please provide a visible link to the source. Merci!