first memories from europa

4/19/2012

paris, deux moulins

Untitled

As I mentioned in my last post, the first time I went overseas was to see Radiohead in Paris. It was four years ago and my sister's idea since we were big fans. It naturally evolved into a two-week trip, as it was impossible to ignore surrounding lands that we had dreamt of for so long. We looked at a map and pinpointed places that seemed interesting and booked the necessary overnight trains to get there. It was a lot of hard work but the three of us also experienced jovial moments of leisure and would recommend it to anyone.

london, st james
london, phone booths

London
The first place we visited was London, for three days. We managed to see a lot of obligatory stops such as the British Museum and National Gallery. Of course I tried an English breakfast and visited Abbey Road, where I left a little note on the wall. I'll be visiting again this summer for a few days and hope to experience an entirely different side of the city. I'm open to any suggestions as well!

versailles
versailles

Paris & Versailles
After London, we took the eurostar to Paris early in the morning. We walked everywhere, had a picnic near the Eiffel Tower and ate at Les Deux Moulins for breakfast. For lunch we always stopped for a crepe and took the metro constantly. On the day of the Radiohead concert we visited Versailles, which was a small version of heaven, minus all of the tourists. It was our favorite city of course!

Untitled

paris, radiohead

Front row for Radiohead (impossible on our end of the world)

koln, fruit
danke

Koln, Germany
After hopping on a night train from Paris, we arrived in Koln and were thoroughly confused by the German transit system. It became quite simple after a few rides, but the language barrier was comical to us at first. We saw the beautiful Kölner Dom, visited the Lindt chocolate museum (delicious!) and took a boat trip down the Rhine. The statues and buildings were so beautiful.


Untitled
Untitled

Copenhagen, Denmark
After Koln, we went on our first overnight train to visit Copenhagen. We slept in a small berth with bunk beds and felt like kids. It was enjoyable and exciting, as we looked forward to reaching Scandinavia. Copenhagen was a beautiful city, albeit very expensive for our measly U.S. dollars. We visited Tivoli gardens, the Glyptotek, walked along Nyhavn for ice cream and stayed in Nørrebro.

copenhagen
copenhagen, glyptothek

The beautiful Glyptotek
copenhagen, glypothek

malmo, river
malmo
Malmö, Sweden
Visiting Malmö was a no brainer, seeing as it was only a short train ride across the Øresund. We walked to a medieval fortress, a funny carnival known as Folkets Park and had a Swedish breakfast at Debaser. The skies were incredibly clean and beautiful. Before we left we rode a boat down the city's river, which was so tranquil and the views were immense. I would love to go back one day!

munich, residenz
munich, great hall

Munich, Germany
We rode another night train, and arrived in Munich after Malmö. Unfortunately, we caught a bad weather streak and were bombarded with rain the entire time. In case you haven't gathered, Southern Californians aren't big fans of rain! Nevertheless, we had a peaceful stay and visited the gorgeous Munich Residenz, the Englischer Garten, Marienplatz loads of times, and the Pinakothek der Moderne.

munich, englischer
Untitled

munich, german food

Delicious German trout
rome2
romecat1tu8
nrome

Rome, Italy
Our last stop was in Rome for four days, where we stayed in an apartment in the Trastevere area. This was our favorite aspect of the trip, having our own little space to make our own breakfasts and even spaghetti. We visited a lot of the usual spots such as the forum, the sistine chapel, the pantheon, the Spanish steps, and more. However, we were very flustered by the hoards of tourists and would not visit again. I would definitely return to Italy one day just for the gelato!

Have you ever taken an adventure trip somewhere?

You Might Also Like

39 comments

  1. Oh wow these photos are amazing-you are so intrepid! I went inter-railing around Italy last year but I still have so many places to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At times I can be, and other times not so much! Going through Italy sounds like it would be quite an adventure! I'd love to visit florence, milan and venice some day x

      Delete
  2. I always feel so proud for going their on our own, visiting more lands than some people do in a lifetime. I always say, where there is a will there is a way! And it helps to have like-minded adventurers :) I may have inspired the trip, but you got it off the ground(to which I am grateful). We need to do this again before we all have babies. Lol. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's still very far off but we definitely should one day! There are still so many places to see! It was definitely one of the most fulfilling experiences of my life, made me catapult out of adolescence in a way. There are so many more pictures that I could have shared (literally thousands) but this is succinct enough haha x

      Delete
  3. oh my goodness, these images are absolutely stunning!!! i've been dreaming of heading back over to europe and your images aren't helping me deal with the fact that i'm not there yet! hahha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, I miss a lot of the travelling as well, but not all the tiredness. We were so exhausted at times because we were constantly moving, but the pictures make you forget all of that! :)

      Delete
  4. I really love these pictures, I automatically want to visit beautiful cities now, haha!
    I follow your blog, it's really inspiring.

    Sweet kisses,
    Caroline - http://carolinesfashionaddiction.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's sweet, I'll follow along too! I hope to see more beautiful cities in the future as well x

      Delete
  5. Breathtaking photos!They make me feel nostalgic....xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They make me feel nostalgic and slightly old (haha). I was 20 when I went on that trip, and can't believe four years have already passed! x

      Delete
  6. Man, I wish I'd been a good photographer back in the day of my early European tripping. Your photos are so lovely. I've been to many of those places you mention, and enjoyed them all... still time to go to the rest of them I suppose!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mainly used my Leica minilux with very good film, so that gets a lot of the credit. I wish I had a better digital camera back then though! I bet you have plenty of stories to tell since you've actually lived in some of those parts! And of course, there's always time for more...I am always on the hunt for the next travelling spot :)

      Delete
  7. valerie, this post is amazing! filled with so many good things to do, it makes me want to go on a road trip immediately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Paula! You're lucky because you live quite close to all of those places, and many more! You should go on a road trip some day, I certainly would :)

      Delete
  8. this sounds like the perfect trip! i would love to go on an adventure like that one day :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was quite amazing but also challenging, since we had to think on our feet and deal with a lot of currency changes and language barriers. It's definitely fun if you go with friends or loved ones! x

      Delete
  9. I'm glad to see so familiar & favourites spots :)
    Wonderful photography, as usual. It is often hard to capture the true atmosphere of a place, but for me those images sum up Europe perfectly !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah that's lovely to say. I have many more images but gathered these in a hurry, so I'm glad they captured some of the essence. :)

      Delete
  10. Your photographs are breathtaking as always. I'm so jealous that you went to Sweden and France! I plan on studying abroad in France next summer, so hopefully I'll be able to do charming things like picnic near the Eiffel Tower and such :> I can't believe you were front row at Radiohead! What an amazing experience. I think everyone should take a lengthy trip to Europe like this; you certainly did yours right! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Studying abroad would be great! I had considered it a few years back, but it was so expensive and my French is not good enough. I only saw a very small part of Sweden and still feel that a proper re-visit is in order some day. I had tried to be in the front row for Radiohead a million times, but always failed in the U.S. Somehow, the Parisians did not care about the front row and it was wide open when I arrived at about 7pm. It was amazing luck and I will never have the opportunity again! :)

      Delete
  11. Such stunning photos, they must make memories of your trip all the more special! I am seriously in awe of the photos you take, you are really talented :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Harlow! That is very sweet. You've got a great name :)

      Delete
  12. such lovely photographs from such inspiring places.

    beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were certainly inspiring, and I definitely appreciate the chance to have been there x

      Delete
  13. Val! amazing amazing places! and pictures :D good job with these. they look so magical! The only country i've seen in europe is Italy. the architecture is breath taking.. i really want to travel. youre so lucky! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It'd be interesting to see more of Italy and not just Rome, perhaps one day. I definitely feel lucky to have been anywhere outside of California. A lot of people that live here never seem to leave the states x

      Delete
  14. Oh wow, this seems like one of the most amazing trips ever! I love how you went from northern europe all the way to Italy, what a great idea :)) And you already took such great pictures then haha XD I just went to Versailles yesterday and it really was a dream (minus all the tourists) haha XD I look forward for an overnight train in May to, from Copenhagen to Berlin haha, what a coincidence! Also, front row seats? wow. Never had the chance :)) I hope to see all these places someday too! :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were crazy to travel all those distances, but it was our first time so we were very bold. It'd be fun to do something similar again, but I'd be so tired haha! You're so lucky to have gone to versailles! The tourists should disappear for just a few hours a day so a few people can enjoy the gardens in solace! That sounds like such an awesome trip - have fun and keep a watch on your stuff when you sleep on the train! ;)

      Delete
  15. Ohhhh, I absolutely adore your photography. Your trip looks like one of the best trips ever. It almost looks like a dream. You made me excited for my own trip trough Europe again this summer. And that you've seen Radiohead in Paris! How nice! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe it almost feels like a dream sometimes, it was quite awhile ago now. Have fun on your trip this summer! :)

      Delete
  16. I'm green! It's been my life-long dream to travel to Europe and experience life. It seems to be exactly as wonderful as I imagine. I can't wait! I hope you get to go again :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was definitely a life-long dream up until that time...and I never thought it would happen, or that I would go back many more times. I guess if you set your mind on it, it can happen x

      Delete
  17. Your photos are lovely - they must bring back such amazing memories!

    After I finished university I travelled around Italy for a month and it was one of the most special and wonderful experiences ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly does! I sometimes even forget that I went until I revisit the photos hehe. That sounds like such a great trip and especially after university!

      Delete
  18. ahh, this is making me pine for my trip to europe in 2010! in fact it's making me pine for a new trip even more. :( really beautiful photos though. it must have been a wonderful adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  19. wow, what a beautiful tour you've taken us on! i want to visit everywhere now! x

    ReplyDelete
  20. what a beautiful collection of photos! your trip looks like so much fun. i live in england, yet i have never been inter-railing around mainland europe, i would love to do it someday. in the meantime, i have to make do with stolen week-long trips to berlin and france but copenhagen and sweden are definitely next on my list! x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I'd love to hear from you x

@hallovalerie on Instagram

instgram

sharing is caring

All images are under Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs copyright through Flickr.com. If you'd like to use an image, please provide a visible link to the source. Merci!